Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day 44: Pantry Pasta Arrabbiata...or not.

Tonight I planned on making an Arrabbiata from The New Whole Grains Cookbook.  It's a spicy pasta dish that features roasted red peppers.  It was a perfect recipe since it uses ingredients that I keep in my pantry (hence the name apparently), and it could be prepared in the time it took to boil some pasta!  As I was starting to prepare dinner, however, I noticed one small little problem:  the jar that I thought held roasted red peppers actually had sun-dried tomatoes!  Hey, I saw a jar that had red things in it -- an honest mistake!

Wonderful!  It was 6 o'clock.  Paul would be home in half an hour so I had to think of something quick to prepare so I decided to make pasta with Alfredo sauce.  I like this one that I found on allrecipes.com, which I've tweaked just a little bit.  If you're wondering why you can't see the sauce in the picture -- it's thin at first, but then thickens as it cools.  Just give it a good stir when you're serving.  

Penne with Alfredo Sauce
adapted from allrecipes.com

4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 box (8 ounces) Penne
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup parsley, chopped

     Prepare pasta as directed on the box.
     Melt butter in a medium sauce pan over medium low heat.  Add cream and smashed garlic cloves, and simmer for 5 minutes.  Whisk in cheese, and pour over pasta.
     Combine bread crumbs and melted butter, and toast in a saute pan.  Add parsley and sprinkle on top of pasta.

Tomorrow night:  Spicy Yellow Split Pea Quinoa Dal

1 comment:

  1. It was a very rich tasting pasta with a delicious Alfredo sauce. I wonder who Alfredo was?? The sauce was thin at first, but as we sat eating our (my) first helping, we watched the sauce thicken right before our very eyes! So, I guess it's better to let it set up a little, but our (my) hunger prevented us from waiting to eat. I think Ann said the pasta was supposed to be a different type (shape), but I always like Penne pasta noodles. When I was a kid, we would see how many of the tube-shaped noodles we could spear on the tines of our fork. Oops... did I just admit that I used to play with my food? Oops... I think I got off the subject! I enjoyed the pasta dish very much.

    ReplyDelete