Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 26: Carmelized Turnips, Potatoes, Carrots with Onions & Thyme, and Black Bean Chili

I'm taking a day off from my 50 recipes in 50 days challenge.  It's Super Bowl Sunday, and we're invited over to Rick and Heather's house to watch the big game.  There will be food of course, and for my contribution I wanted to make something a little different from the usual Super Bowl fare so I'm bringing a fantastic pan roasted root vegetable dish which is, unfortunately, not from one of the recipe books I've been featuring during the 50 recipes in 50 days challenge.  This recipe actually came from Susie Middleton's blog.  She is also the author of  Fast, Fresh & Green which I have on order.  I'll post the link to Sue's veggie recipe here.

I also made black bean chili.  It's sort of a compilation of several recipes I've tried over the years.  I think everyone at the party will enjoy it.

Black Bean Chili
from Ann's Brain
Yield:  A lot

Three 15 oz cans black beans, 2 cans drained, save liquid from the 3rd can
One 1 lb 12 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 medium onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup frozen corn
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne
salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot heat oil over medium heat.  Add onions, and cook until translucent.  Add garlic and spices, and cook for a few minutes (add water if too dry).  Add bell pepper, tomatoes (with the juice), corn, beans and the reserved liquid and stir well.  Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. From Ann's brain; I love it. The veggies were delicious and I REALLY enjoyed the little bit of chili that I allowed myself to eat ;) It was beautifully spicy.

    ReplyDelete