Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 31: Winter Squash Ravioli, Prep Work. Step 2: Roast Squash and Make Pasta Dough

Okay, I decided Step 2 would be to prepare the pasta dough, and roast the squash.  I'm using the same egg dough pasta that I used in the Spinach Lasagna.  You can find the recipe here.  I forgot to measure how much water I used, but I did remember to add some water to the dough while it was spinning in the food processor.  That made a huge difference in the time I had to spend fussing with the dough to make it come together into a ball, and then kneading it.

I'm going to use Butternut Squash for the filling.  I have to say it's the oddest looking one I've ever seen -- straight, and no bulb at the bottom.  Oh, well -- that is what the grocery store had, so it's what I bought!

You probably know the drill for roasting squash.  Cut in half lengthwise.  Cut each half in half.  Scoop out the seeds.  Oil the baking sheet (I lined mine with foil first).  Salt and pepper the squash, and place cut side down on the baking sheet.  Cook at 375 until tender (about 45- 60 minutes depending on the size of the squash).

I scooped out the flesh, and mashed it best I could with a spoon.  One of these days I'll have to get a food mill, or ricer.  I left the squash out to cool while I went to my afternoon appointment.


When I got back I prepared the filling, and then had a little rest before moving onto Step 3:  Prepare Raviolis!

No comments:

Post a Comment