Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 5: Pizza with Bacon, Scallions, Parmesan, and Tomato

Pizza and bacon -- doesn't get any better, folks.   I was excited to try this pizza, and it did not disappoint.  The dough makes two pizzas, and since it was just Paul and I tonight I decided to experiment by freezing one of the balls of dough.  And, obviously, I cut the amount of the toppings in half.  I meant to use canned diced tomatoes, but forgot to add them to the pizza.  I did add minced garlic, because as far as I'm concerned it ain't pizza if there ain't garlic.  I think the next time I'll add some shredded mozzarella.   I have a pizza stone and a pizza peel, but I'm not very good at getting the pizza off of the peel onto the stone so I used my Air Bake pizza sheet.  I served the pizza with a mixed green salad and homemade ranch dressing.  The ranch dressing recipe comes from one of Tyler's Ultimate shows.  I made it from memory since I never wrote it down, and I can't find the recipe online.  I substituted half of the mayo with Greek yogurt.

Pizza with Bacon, Scallions, Parmesan, and Tomato
A Great American Cook
Yield:  Two 12" pizzas

4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, preferably organic, plus extra for rolling
1 tbsp honey
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (or one 1/4 ounce pkg)
Sea salt
1/4 pound thick-cut bacon
1 bunch scallions
4 medium ripe tomatoes (see note)
1/4 cup freshly grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano
Freshly ground black pepper

     In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the flour, the honey, 2 cups warm water, 2 tbsp of the olive oil, and the yeast. Mix well.  Let this sponge sit in a warm, draft-free spot for 1 hour, or until doubled. 
     With a wooden spoon, stir the remaining 3 cups flour and 2 tsp salt into the sponge.  Knead for 10 minutes in the bowl or transfer to the counter and knead, adding a little more warm water if necessary; the dough should be moist, not dry.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until doubled in size.
     Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and heat the oven to 450 degrees.  If you have a pizza stone, place it on the oven rack to preheat for 30 minutes.  If not using a stone, lightly oil two pizza pans or baking sheets. 
     Dice the bacon.  Slice the scallions.  Core and dice the tomatoes. 
     Divide the dough in half.  Roll out one piece of dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12-inch round.  If using a pizza stone, dust a baker's peel (or a rimless baking sheet) with flour and place the dough on it.  Sprinkle with half the bacon, half the scallions, half the tomatoes, and 2 tbsp of the Parmesan.  Drizzle with a tbsp of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and slide the dough onto the hot stone.  Or, place the dough on one of the oiled pizza pans or baking sheets, add the toppings, and place the pan in the oven. 
      Bake until the crust is golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.  Meanwhile, assemble the remaining pizza.  Cut the baked pizza into wedges and serve hot.  Bake the remaining pizza and serve. 

Ranch Dressing
Tyler's Ultimate

1/2 mayonnaise
1/3 cup buttermilk
3 scallions rough chopped
2 garlic cloves rough chopped

Place ingredients in food processor and blend.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Tomorrow?  A favorite from my childhood -- Tamale Pie!



No comments:

Post a Comment