Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ziti with Roasted Onions

I'm very impressed with The Roasted Vegetable.  Two nights, two recipes, two keepers!  Unfortunately I used all of my onions so tomorrow I'll have to go shopping!

This was not a saucy pasta dish.  The pasta was nicely coated from the oil and butter used to roast the onions.  I had saved some of the pasta water in case the dish became too dry, but I didn't have to use any of it.  The cheese added a nice salty, creamy element, and the roasted onions were so tender and sweet -- yummy.  I would make only one change to this recipe:  the fresh rosemary is a little overpowering if it's not cooked (in my opinion) so I think I'll add the rosemary with the white wine and let it cook for a bit.

For the white wine I used Pinot Grigio.  I'm not a white wine drinker so I like to buy those little bottles of wine that come four to a package.  I like the Pinot Grigio from Bella Sera (Cavit Collection) that's imported from Italy.

This morning I found the container that held the leftovers from last night's dinner (my son is a late night snacker).  I have a feeling that tomorrow I'll find the container holding the leftovers from tonight's dinner empty too.


Ziti with Roasted Onions
The Roasted Vegetable
Yield:  Serves 4 to 6

6 cups thinly sliced onions (1 1/2 pounds)
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound ziti, penne, or other tubular pasta
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 425.  Lightly oil a large shallow roasting or half sheet pan.

In a large bowl, combine the onions, butter, and oil.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Toss to mix well. Arrange in a shallow layer in the pan.

Roast for about 30 minutes, until the onions are golden and meltingly tender, stirring occasionally for even cooking.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente.  Drain well.

When the onions are tender, stir in the wine and return to the oven for another 5 minutes, until the wine is mostly evaporated.

Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl.  Add the onions, parsley, rosemary, and cheese and toss well. Taste and adjust the seasonings, being especially generous with the pepper.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment